Tuesday, January 21, 2014

In a Redbrigde Roundabout Way

Several of my British friends have been in contact re the use of the word "snifter" mostly to point out that "snifter" should be used in the context of having a small nip of something strong like brandy as a way of stealing oneself to do something unpleasant like talking to strangers on the bus and the like. Some have pointed out that I should have used the word "digestif" instead or even "liquor coffee" although I suspect this second term has fallen out of favor much like the Berni Inn chain itself. When I was a young thing these liquor coffees were the height of sophistication. Which bring me onto the next topic - "class". Am I really from east of Redbridge - because we all know what that means. Except most of the world doesn't actually. And I also know that before even reading the blog you can tell the class :)

For those of you nostalgic for roundabouts and perhaps Redbridge here is the famous Redbridge Roundabout sign:


Interesting fact. We lived next door to someone who went to school with Dudley Moore. Why do I mention Dudley Moore? Because he definitely lived east of Redbridge; Dagenham if I remember rightly. Anyway, apparently he used to be asked to play the piano at assembly and everyone could tell he was very talented and the music teacher encouraged him. So there's one for teachers again - thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment